Saturday, June 29, 2013

let me tell ya about june

I'm back now at home (in Davao), gearing up to start my second year at our maternity clinic. Here's what I have been up to the past month..

I helped supervise the Mindanao rural healthcare teams through IMB Nehemiah Teams during my month break in June. I had the BEST time as I watched 15 American college students quickly adapt and jump right in and share the love of Christ to the lost and poor in the rural areas surrounding Butuan.

 This map shows in red Agusan Del Norte, where Butuan City is. The map below enlarges the province to show some of the areas surrounding the city. The healthcare teams are scattered among four remote areas in between Butuan City and Las Nieves, offering services like blood pressure checks and free circumcision to young boys, all while being intentional to share the good news of Christ with those who are deeply rooted in animism. To continue to follow the teams as the serve their second month in the areas, go to http://nehemiahteams.blogspot.com/search/label/2013%20Healthcare%20Teams. The site is full of pictures, updates, and ways for you to pray for them as they serve!
     As many of you know, this specific missions opportunity is near and dear to my heart. It is this same team that I was able to join in the summers of 2010 and 2011. It was during these summers that God changed my heart to be aware of the lostness around the world and showed me how I could join Him at this work using midwifery as a relational tool to share.

While there, I had the blessing of visiting the believers in the village I served in my two summers. They are now meeting in a small building (The land and structure was funded by some of my past teammates.) and have a pastor. Although they are few, their roots of faith are deep. And I was blessed beyond I can say to worship with them this past month.


 Here is a picture of the members that were there the first Sunday I visited. The two women beside me are Ate Adday and her daughter Mary Ann, the two people I was closest with my first summer there. Praise God they are continuing to follow Him!

The pictures below are of the three baptisms we were able to witness while being there. The first two pictures are of a husband and wife, and the third is of a youth member. :)


I could write a million and one things about how much I learned or was reminded of this month. There were funny times, new memories and old, hikes in the mud, habal2x rides, cooking successes and catastrophes, a wedding, bucket bathing, and so so much more. Most important of all is that there are workers amongst a ready harvest field, fighting a spiritual battle, that people may come to know Jesus. I'm thankful to have met them and helped a bit!

-----
And now, back in Davao, I am looking towards quite a busy month. I have 4 continuity patients due this month, which means I am basically on-call all of July. I switch from 3 to now 4 shifts a week. The other half of my class goes on their break in July, so the clinic is full of interning volunteers. I have quite the heavy assignment as I learn about 'Well Woman.' My dorm just moved locations, and as each of us arrives back, much re-organizing and moving in is to be done. And I am nearing another deadline for clinic fees.

So far 33 people have donated $20. Only 167 more to go by August 1st. Please continue to join me as I look forward to serving my second and final year here in the Philippines, helping moms and babies and sharing the Gospel!

I miss you all across the world! Thank you for being apart of the eternally important work of making Christ known!

--Midwife Brittany

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for what you're doing Brittany! Who was the young girl getting baptized? She looks familiar...So neat to see all those people with you!! So wish I could have been there to help.... People near and dear to my heart as well..
    Love you girlie, and praying for you often!! <3

    ReplyDelete