Monday, April 14, 2014

life lately

       The hustle and bustle of a busy midwife schedule has kept me pretty busy these last few months. I am on the last leg now of this journey, finishing up my studies and preparing things for my big certification exam this coming October. 
        Here is a look into my last few weeks....

Vonn and I went to his hometown for a few days at the end of last month to see his cousin, Daylyn, graduate. It was a fun little break away from the city. I am always blessed with the little time I get to spend with his family. Below are a few pictures of our time there. 





Just a little over a week ago, devastation hit a part of our city when a massive fire burned much of Isla Verde on the evening of April 4, 2014. This area is near and dear to my heart, as I volunteer on an outreach there twice a month to provide prenatal care to Badjao women and the local Muslim community. (See THIS previous blog post of mine for some background.) Not only were some 1,000 houses engulfed by the fire, but three neighboring barangays (neighborhoods) were affected, and 3,700 families have been left  homeless. The multi-purpose building where we held our prenatals and where our partnering ministry served the people in countless capacities is no longer standing. What is left is pictured below.

View of the fire from the ocean

Some of the devastation
 
Please continue to remember these people in your prayers. Families are relocated to areas nearby in a local park and school. Everything they own was lost, and they are living day by day as they struggle to provide food and shelter. These people are already the poorest of the poor in our city. 

Many people have stepped up and volunteered by donating food and clothing. Our organization was able to provide 200 meals a few days after the fire for those displaced in partnership with the ministry already based in the area. Many others are doing the same in efforts to provide for the practical needs of the people. We will continue to partner in the area to provide maternal health care and are praying that a space will be provided for the continued ministry of our partners there. My hope and prayer is that many come to know the Lord even through the devastation, that He would show Himself to be Provider, Healer, and Comforter in the midst of such hardship.


           On a bit of a happier note, I finally received my box from home. It was sent in December, but just got to me this week. I was SO thankful to have so many wonderful treats from home and enjoyed having my Christmas in April! Thanks to all my family who gathered my favorites and sent them. I am thankful for all the little things. Oh and Vonn loved his Memphis Tigers tee. ;)




Thanks again to all for supporting and praying for me as I am here. I am continuing to love every second of it here and am thankful to be learning and using midwifery skills for the glory of God. 

Until next time,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment